2016 Honey Bee Season Progress

Greetings from wonderful West Virginia,

Spring is well on its way, and lots of outdoor activities are keeping us very busy. For one, in our bee yards we have been diligently controlling swarming in our colonies. With the variable weather, rain, cold, and windy at times, the bees has spent most of the past 11 days indoors, and have started to eat the little they’ve gather in the earlier part of spring.

We had an early start this year, but have been waiting for the past month on the state inspector to visit with us and get our honey bees inspected for release. During the wait for the state apiarist, the splits have exploded and it has been quite the battle to contain swarming. We have been busy moving them back to 10-frame equipment for the extra space and slow down the swarming due to overcrowded conditions.

As I captured one swarm, the mother of all swarms landed next to me.

As I captured one swarm, the mother of all swarms landed next to me.

Of course without the inspection, we are unable to ship our queens or nucs across state lines. The good news is that we have confirmation that he will be here on May 11th. In the event of yet another delay we will have to go to plan B.

We are setting the Memorial Day week for shipping of our nucs, and the 28-29 for local pick up from 7:30am – 9:00am. Please make arrangement with us for pick up, you must have an appointment, do not show up to pick up your nucs without one. Our queens will start shipping as soon as we are inspected.

Once again, thank you for your patience, your patronage and support. Here is to a great 2016.

Cordially,

Charles Walter

By Charles Walter on May 9, 2016 · Posted in announcements, beekeeping, country living, entrepreneurship, how to

13 Comments | Post Comment

Robert Dodd says:

Hi Walter,

Can I arrange for pickup on Sat or Sun June June 4th or 5th. I will be out of the country for Memorial day weekend and don’t return until June 2nd.

Let me know.

Thanks

Bob Dodd
410-562-9525

Posted on May 10th, 2016

Charles Walter says:

Yes you can, please send me an email with your date of choice so that we can plan accordingly.

– Charles

Posted on May 10th, 2016

Genevieve Sanchez-Howard says:

ood Afternoon Charles, I know this Spring has been a bit unusual and frustrating in our beeyard too. This past Saturday we noticed we might have had a (another)swarm starting but, then it seemed to stop. We went ahead and started our hive inspections and suddenly noticed a rather large swarm in a bush next to us. Luckily we were able to hive it. But, inspection showed we had many swarms already leave our hives even though we had been doing splits to try to control the swarming. In all we caught 5 swarms. I’m sure there were more we didn’t see. Only 3, so far, have stayed. I guess that’s always the way with bees in the Spring – Feast or Famine.

Our order with you was for 4 queens and 1 deep nuc. In the past, we’ve come to pick up our orders. If you agree, and the queens are ready, would it be possible for us to pick up the queens this weekend? Either anytime Saturday after 12N or Sunday after 8am would work for us. I know the weather has been unpredictable. If that doesn’t work for you could come one evening next week or the following weekend? Please let us know what works for you.

As always let me know if you would like a hand for a while when we come up. We would be glad to give you some help. We could come early in the day and stay for a few hours.

Genevieve Howard
301-963-2913

Posted on May 11th, 2016

Deanna Sinclair-Parker says:

Thank you for the update. Great news to hear the bees are strong and doing well this spring! We are just starting to blossom out here in the NW northern part of lower Michigan. So by the time the bee arrive things will be in full bloom and will have plenty to eat! The large alfalfa field next to us has not bloomed yet, nor has our fruit trees, they are just now starting to show signs of budding. It’s been cooler this spring. Deanna

Posted on May 10th, 2016

Charles Walter says:

I will touch base with you prior to shipping and provide you with a tracking number.
Thanks

Posted on May 11th, 2016

zach jeffreys says:

Hi Charles glad to hear the news, I would like to schedule a pick up for Saturday the 28th at 8am. Thank you Zach

Posted on May 10th, 2016

Charles Walter says:

See you then Zach

Posted on May 11th, 2016

Tim Poling says:

Good day Charles, sounds like those girls are really keeping you busy. With all the activity and trying to control swarms, would there be a chance to make an appointment to pick up sooner than Memorial weekend. Wouldn’t mind to get started here to allow the girls to quickly get acquainted with the area and rearing brood. If not, no worries, just wondered…Tim Poling & Paul Kines

Posted on May 11th, 2016

David Knox says:

Hello Charles,

I would like to pickup bees on the 28th at 7:30.

Thanks,

David

Posted on May 12th, 2016

David Powers says:

Mr. Walter,

I would like to schedule pick up of my two (2) medium NUCs for Saturday, May 28th, at 8:30am. Thank you.

David Powers

Posted on May 14th, 2016

kamie mcglynn says:

Walter,
I am in the same situation as Robert, except I won’t be back in the country until June 8th. I will send you an email
–kamie

Posted on May 16th, 2016

Chandra Coffee says:

Charles,

I am very glad the bees are doing well this spring. From my understanding. ..you were waiting on inspection of hives. The state inspector has inspected your apriary last week. Can you kindly ship the two nucs that I have paid you in full for. The shipping was already paid as well. I have tried for weeks to contact you via phone, left messages and sent numerous emails…with no response from you.
Can you kindly ship my bees!

I hope everyone is not having this kind of trouble and avoidance from this apriary.

Thanks.